Travel restrictions and unemployment security

It is possible that due to travel restrictions you will not be able to return to Finland from abroad and the payment of salaries will be interrupted. In this case, can you receive earnings-related daily allowance?

During the coronavirus epidemic, Finland has imposed various travel restrictions that aim to prevent and slow down the spread of the disease. As a rule, Finns can return to Finland from abroad regardless of the situation. If you are a citizen of another country, you work in Finland but travel abroad, you may not be able to return directly to Finland. Then you will not be able to return to work, in which case your work and payroll may be interrupted.

As a rule, earnings-related daily allowance can only be paid to unemployed jobseekers. So if work and payroll end due to travel restrictions, we need to examine whether you are an unemployed jobseeker.

Being an unemployed jobseeker means that you register as a jobseeker at the TE Office, and the TE Office issues a statement that you are unemployed. You can be unemployed if your employer terminates the employment relationship or lays you off.

If your employment relationship ends and you are unemployed, we need to know where your permanent place of residence is. If you live permanently in Finland, we can pay the benefit on the basis of unemployment. If your permanent place of residence is somewhere else than in Finland, the country of residence pays the unemployment benefit.

If you are laid off instead, we can pay you allowance even if you are staying in another country. In order to pay, we need a statement from the TE Office stating that there are no labour policy obstacles to the payment.

Do this if you are unable to return to Finland

  • Register with the TE Office as an unemployed jobseeker.
  • Answer carefully all questions asked by the TE Office.
  • Apply for unemployment benefit from your unemployment fund.
  • Answer carefully all questions asked by the unemployment fund.