The temporary change to law means that the earnings-related allowance paid to you if you are laid off will not use up the maximum payment period of your earnings-related daily allowance.
This change expired at the end of the year 2020.
ENTRY INTO FORCE
- Issued to Parliament on 2 April 2020
- Approved in Parliament on 9 April 2020
- Presented to the President on 9 April 2020
- Valid from 15 April 2020 to 6 July 2020
- Applicable from 16 March 2020 to 30 June 2020
Normally, we can pay earnings-related allowance for 300, 400 or 500 days. The temporary change in law that will take effect on 15 April 2020 means that an earnings-related daily allowance paid to someone if they are laid off will not use up the maximum payment period.
The change applies to earnings-related daily allowance paid when someone is laid off on or after 16 March 2020 for the period from 16 March 2020 to 30 June 2020.
Another change has also been made to the maximum payment period: the maximum payment period will not be used between 1 July 2020 and 31 December 2020.