We are doing maintenance in OmaYTK on 23.5. 16.30-18.00. During the maintenance the service cannot be used. We’re sorry about that!

Job alternation leave

When you have more than 20 years of a work history, you can apply for a break from work by agreeing on it with your employer. A requirement for receiving job alternation compensation is that your employer hires an unemployed jobseeker for the duration of your leave. If your case meets the preconditions, you can stay on job alternation leave for 180 days. The job alternation compensation is 70 % of your earnings-related daily allowance.

Who can take job alternation leave?

The preconditions for job alternation leave:

  • You are in an employment relationship
  • You have been working for the same employer without interruptions for at least 13 months before the start of the job alternation leave. This can include a maximum of 30 calendar days of unpaid absence. Absence due to illness or accident is considered the same as being at work.
  • You have a work history of at least 20 years
  • You can no longer take job alternation leave when you have less than 3 years left to the minimum retirement age.
  • If your employment is not full-time, your part-time working hours must be at least 75% of the full-time working hours of an employee in your field.

In your work history, we include work done in accordance with the pension acts, as well as self-employment. A quarter of the required work history may be time comparable to working, such as family leave, military service and non-military service.

You cannot take job alternation leave after the end of the calendar month during which you reach the age that is 3 years less than the minimum age limit for old-age pension stated in the Employees Pensions Act. In other words, the upper age limit for taking job alternation leave depends on the minimum age limit set for old-age pension in the Pensions Act. And the minimum age limit for old-age pension depends on your birth year.

The upper age limits for taking job alternation leave are as follows:

  • for those born in 1957: 60 years and 9 months
  • for those born in 1958: 61 years
  • for those born in 1959: 61 years and 3 months
  • for those born in 1960: 61 years and 6 months
  • for those born in 1961: 61 years and 9 months
  • for those born in 1962–1964: 62 years

for those born in 1965 and after, the minimum age limit for old-age pension is confirmed separately in a decree by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.