Aged people, who lose their job, can receive earnings-related daily allowance for over maximum, if they meet the preconditions for the so called additional day entitlement. The entitlement age limit to the additional days vary according to the year of birth. In addition, one requirement for the entitlement is a certain amount of pension insured work history.
You may be eligible for a so-called supplementary allowance after the maximum payment period until you reach the age of 65, if
- you were born between 1950 and 1954 and reach the age of 59 before exhausting your 500 days
- you were born between 1955 and 1956 and reach the age of 60 before exhausting your 500 days, or
- you were born in 1957 of later and reach the age of 61 before exhausting your 500 days.
You must also have been working for at least five years during the past 20 years.
If you have been paid daily allowance based on additional days, you are not entitled to unemployment allowance after you turn 65, even if you were laid off.
If you were born between 1950 and 1957 and wish to take early retirement, you can claim supplementary allowance and retire on an oldage pension at the age of 62 without an abatement of early retirement.
The unemployment fund inspects your entitlement to additional days automatically. Keep your job search active at the TE offices and apply for daily allowance normally when changing to additional days. If the preconditions are met you automatically move to the additional days and no separate decision is given.
If you are transforming from additional days to retirement, here is a checklist for you
- Apply for pension.
You should apply for pension approximately two months before retiring. You can apply for pension by a paper form or online with a form you can fill in and print. For old age pension there is an online application service. You can leave your application in any public or private pension institution, Finnish Centre for Pensions, an agent for the Farmers’ Social Insurance Institution or office of the SII. You can also find more information about applying pension from these instances. (Source: www.työeläke.fi)
- Let YTK know the date from which you have applied pension.
- Send the next daily allowance application for a period that includes at least one additional day from the month preceding the beginning of your pension. The application can be for a longer or, exceptionally, shorter period.
- Example: If your pension starts 1.3.2015, your daily allowance application should reach until 2.2.2015, so that we can write you a certificate for additional days. This application period preceding the beginning of pension can differ from the normal four week or one month period.
Please notice that transferring to old age pension does not automatically end your membership in the unemployment fund and you need to send us a written notice of resignation. The resignation can also be done online in OmaYTK.